All staff and students are welcome to undertake ALLY training. Building the ALLY Network across UNSW will helps to raise awareness about issues, stamp out LGBTIQ homophobia and transphobia to make UNSW a more inclusive place for all.
The role of an ALLY is to:
- Provide a safe confidential space where LGBTIQ students or staff can seek support and referral for issues they may be facing in an environment of dignity and respect
- Raise awareness of LGBTIQ issues and raise public visibility of the ALLY@UNSW Network in their workspace or study environment
- Challenge themselves and others on issues of sexual prejudice in the workplace, such as homophobia and heterosexism, and keep informed about related resources and information
- Understand the level of fear and stigma associated with disclosing sexual orientation or gender identity and therefore act without judgment and respect individuals' confidentiality at all times
- ALLIES are not trained counsellors but are trained to offer empathic support and appropriate referral for students or staff as required.
Register for ALLY training