International Student Visa Holders

Full-Time Study Load

If you are an International student studying on a student visa you must satisfy certain conditions such as completing studies within the time frames set out in your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

Under our UNSW3+ calendar:

  • You must enrol in 48 units of credit (eight courses) over the three terms.
  • This means that in one term, you can complete a lighter study load of two courses.
  • It may be possible for you to complete nine courses per year (three courses per term) and take a reduced load of seven courses in a subsequent year. This gives students an opportunity to undertake an internship, if suitable.

Please note international students who fail to meet their visa conditions, may have their visa cancelled.

Has your completion date changed?

It is important that you know your visa expiry date and that you apply for a new visa before your current visa expires. You can check the expiry date via Department of Home Affairs’ Visa Entitlement Verification (VEVO) System.

If you need to apply for a new student visa information can be found here.

Please contact an International Student Advisor if you believe that you only need to apply for a new student view due to the change in the UNSW academic calendar. We may be able to offer you support with finances related to a visa application. Contact us on or come to drop ins.

We are not able to offer support with finances if you would have needed to extend your visa for any other reason. eg. You have enrolled in less than eight courses a year; you have not passed some subject/s which has delayed your completion; or you took program leave.

Early Completion

If you complete your program early and before the end date of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), your CoE will be cancelled and the Department of Home Affairs will be notified of your early completion. You will need to make arrangements to return home or contact the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs (concerning immigration) to discuss your visa options to remain in Australia.

If you remain in Australia on your student visa without studying and a CoE you will be in breach of your student visa conditions.


A student visa allows you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your program is in session and unrestricted hours during the University break periods. It is important to note that you are not permitted to work until you have commenced your studies. No work limits apply if you are studying a Masters by research or Doctorate course in Australia.

It is important that International students adhere to the dates and working restrictions. You can see the 2019 academic calendar dates here.

Admission Intakes

There will be two Undergraduate admission intakes per year – Term 1 and Term 3.

Some faculties will offer Postgraduate admission in Term 2, but it will be based on demand.

Tuition Fees

The required units of credit to complete a degree at UNSW have not changed under the UNSW3+ calendar, which means students can expect their estimated fees for their degree to remain accurate. Fees will continue to be charged based on enrolment in a given term, which will allow students to spread their course load across three terms.

Student Services and Amenities Fee

International students are charged a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) in addition to their tuition fees, as stipulated on their letter of offer. It is expected the capped amount set by the Australian Government annually will be spread evenly across the 3+ term model.


Graduation ceremonies will happen three times per year, with less time to wait between completing your studies and attending your graduation ceremony.

Attending your Graduation Ceremony

For information about visas and attending your graduation ceremony, please click here

Considering applying for a Temporary Graduate visa? information can be found here


See next

Fees, benefits, scholarships