Remember to verify your citizenship/residency status

Published: 14 February 2017

From Semester 1 2017, domestic students who enrol at UNSW are required to provide proof of their citizenship or residency, prior to the commencement of their first semester of study but no later than the census date of their semester of commencement.

Verifying your citizenship ensures that you enrol in the right type of fee place and confirms your eligibility for government assistance, e.g. HECS-HELP. In line with the Higher Education Support Act 2003, UNSW, as the Higher Education Provider, has responsibility for advising students of their eligibility for Commonwealth Government Support.

As part of this responsibility, UNSW requires all domestic student eligible to access Commonwealth Government support to provide evidence of their Residency/Citizenship status in their first semester of study.

You are considered a domestic student if you are:
· an Australian Citizen
· an Australian Permanent Resident or
· a New Zealand Citizen

Evidence should be in the form of your:

• Australian birth certificate, passport or certificate of citizenship (Australian Citizens)
• Visa letter or label (Australian Permanent Residents)
• New Zealand passport (New Zealand Citizens)

When do I need to do this by?

Please bring your documentary evidence with you to Getting Started, located in the UNSW Library no later than 3 March 2017.

Getting Started is open as follows:
When: Monday 23 January to Friday 3 March
Where: UNSW Library
Time: 10am - 4pm*

*Getting Started hours will be extended to run between 9am to 5pm from Monday 20 February to Friday 3 March.

Additionally an extended hours evening will run on Tuesday 21 February with services open until 8:30pm.

Need more help?

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact Student Central at