Postgraduate Program Transfer

This page tells you about applying for program transfer from one approved UNSW Postgraduate Coursework program to another.


  1. You must have undertaken a minimum of one semester/term of study in your current program.
  2. You must be in GOOD academic standing.

How to apply

Complete the online Postgraduate Program Transfer form. Make sure you provide all the required information before submitting your application.

Your application will be directed to your Program Authority for assessment. 

Please note that the online form is open at select times of the year. For more information, contact your Program Authority.

Important advice for international student visa holders

  • If your program transfer request is successful, you will require a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which will be issued to you by the International Student Experience Unit. The new CoE will be sent to your student email account.
  • You may not be eligible for full transfer credit from your existing program. If this occurs,your total length of study may be extended. Check the date on you new CoE. 
  • If your new CoE is longer, check your student visa expiry date on VEVOIf you need a new student visa, apply to the Department of Home Affairs.  
  • ADFA Students only: Students studying under a Defence Cooperation Scholarship need permission from Defence and IDP before changing programs.

Important note for sponsored international student visa holders

Sponsored international students can only apply for internal program transfer (IPT) at UNSW if they have sponsor approval. If you don't gain sponsor approval for the program transfer, or if you can't submit the appropriate forms on time, you may be liable for your tuition fee costs.

See also