Road safety tips for changed traffic conditions
Published: 23 March 2017
Stay safe crossing roads around campus
With Light Rail construction well underway and changed traffic conditions around the UNSW Kensington campus, we would like to remind students and staff to take extra care when walking in surrounding streets and crossing roads.
It’s easy to become complacent about safety, especially on a familiar route such as on your way to or from UNSW. It’s important not to take risks when crossing the road.
Follow these tips for pedestrian safety:
- Always use pedestrian crossings
- Wait for the walk signal. Do not cross if the red ‘don’t walk’ signal shows
- Look before you cross. Just because someone else decides to cross or a large group is crossing, doesn’t mean it’s safe for you
- Unplug your earphones and put away your phone
- Never assume an approaching vehicle can see you, or will stop for you – wait until all vehicles have stopped before you step off the kerb
- At intersections, check for turning vehicles before you leave the kerb and while you are crossing the road
- Avoid crossing between parked cars or at the front or back of buses and large vehicles.
For more pedestrian safety tips visit Transport for NSW – Tips for Pedestrians.