Established in 2010, the UNSW Engineering Student Service Awards reward and encourage exceptional and outstanding service by students for the student community.
There are up to three awards (Team or Individual) given each year – depending on merit. Award winners receive an official certificate recognizing the achievement, an entry on the AHEGS, and prize money (in 2015, the Awards were valued at $1,000 each).
The Awards celebrate an exceptional and outstanding service to the UNSW or Faculty student community, and look at the following:
- An exceptional and outstanding achievement or success
- Outstanding service to the UNSW or Faculty student community, like organising a large student event or ongoing involvement in mentoring
- An outstanding or novel initiative which has been implemented, like improvements to student communications
- Any work significantly promoting collaborative relations with external organisations
- Participation in working groups for the improvement of UNSW.
How to get involved
- A nomination requires two nominators, who may be UNSW staff or students, or other persons.
- Nomination applications open in August and the completed nomination must be submitted to the Engineering Student Centre located in the Computer Science Building K17, Level 6 or by mail to: Faculty of Engineering, Dean’s Unit, at: Engineering Student Centre UNSW 2052, by the third Friday in November.
Eligibility details are as follows:
- UNSW Engineering Students – All students enrolled in a degree program within UNSW Engineering are eligible for Award nomination. Students enrolled in the combined Bachelor of Engineering / Bachelor of Laws and the combined Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) / Bachelor of Digital Media are also eligible.
- Teams/Groups – Teams and groups are also eligible for nomination, but only one award will be presented to the team as a whole. The team or group must consist of usually up to three students (mainly from the Faculty of Engineering) who have worked together to implement or achieve an outstanding service. Team/group leaders can be nominated as an individual.
- Previous Award Winners – Recipients of a Faculty Student Service Award (Individual or Team) are not eligible for nomination in the following year. For example, the recipient of a 2013 Award may not be nominated until nominations open for the 2015 Awards.