Correction or Change of Personal Details

Here you will find instructions on how to check, correct or change the UNSW record of your

  • Formal name
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • Contact details: email address and mailing address
  • Preferred name

See also instructions on applying for change of residency status.

You are required to keep the UNSW record of your contact and personal details current. Make sure you update your record as soon you can after any of these details change.

The University requires that your full legal name as appears on your birth certificate/passport is recorded on your University record.

Please be aware that if you provide falsified documents in support of your application, then this will result in one of a range of penalties, from failure in the course to suspension or exclusion. In some cases, the matter could also be reported to ICAC. As a student, you must be aware of your obligations and responsibilities under the Student Code.

Name, date of birth or gender changes

You cannot change the UNSW record of your Formal Name, date of birth, gender or residency status via myUNSW.

Use this Correction or Change of Personal Details Request Form (PDF, 881KB, 2 pages) to correct or change the UNSW record of your Formal Name, date of birth or gender.

Certified documentary evidence

Your request to change any of these details can only be processed if you provide certified documentary evidence. The name change must reflect the name exactly as it appears on the documentation provided.

Evidence can be:

  • Marriage/Divorce Certificate
  • Change of Name Certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • A Statement From a Registered Medical Practitioner or a Registered Psychologist

Please refer to the Correction of Personal Details Request form for further information regarding acceptable documentary evidence.

To Certify documentation either

Contact Details: email and mailing addresses

You are required to maintain current email and postal addresses on myUNSW. The University cannot accept responsibility if official communications fail to reach you because you have not updated your postal and/or email address as soon as possible after you change any of those details.

Email is the main mode of formal communication from the University to you. All students have a central email address: your zID (e.g. z3456789) followed by

You are required to read email that is sent to this address, as it may contain vital administrative or teaching material not provided any other way. If you use an email account other than the centrally provided UNSW account, you must arrange to redirect your UNSW Email to an account you do use.

Changing Contact and Personal Details in myUNSW

For changes other than the UNSW record of your Formal Name, date of birth, gender or residency status use the Personal Details section of myUNSWMy Student Profile tab > My Student Services >Personal Details, then select the information you would like to update: Address, Phone, Email, Emergency Contact, Personal Statistics.

Note: You can use myUNSW to change your 'preferred', informal name. You can also check the UNSW record of your Formal Name.

Note on Enrolment

UNSW is required to keep updated contact details for all students. Each semester when you click on 'Update Enrolment' for the first time, myUNSW will ask you to confirm your current address and contact details. Completing these updates enables enrolment.