Research Candidate Enrolment

What's changed?

Higher Degree Research candidates (HDR) are now required to complete enrolment online through myUNSW for all Terms of the year, including Summer.

This means that HDR candidates can login to myUNSW and select thesis courses for the whole year.


How do I start?

Follow our instructions below to get started with the enrolment process, this will include showing you where to go, how to search for your recommended courses and how to manage your enrolment for the whole year.


Who can I go to for help?

For help with using the myUNSW enrolment process, you can contact the centralised support services at The Nucleus: Student Hub.

The Candidature Management officers at the GRS are still available to help with any questions or concerns you may have with how these changes impact your research and candidature at UNSW. 

HDR Enrolment Instructions

Where do I enrol?

Enrolment can be completed online through your myUNSW account

Login to myUNSW using your Student zID as your user name: z1234567 and your UNSW password. 

Please note: If you are having trouble logging in to myUNSW, contact the UNSW IT services for help, or use the online Identity Manager to rest your password.

When can I enrol?

Enrolment through myUNSW for 2020 continuing HDR candidates opens from: 12 November 2019

Please Note: You will need to enrol in all available research thesis courses for your program by 16 December 2019. If you do not enrol by the deadline your candidature is at risk of lapsing.

Selecting Courses

1. Select your Recommend Courses

First, logon to the Update Enrolment section on myUNSW, then:

a) Select your Research Program for the upcoming year from the list and click Update Enrolment. You will need to read and agree to the Terms and Conditions.

You will now be at your Enrolment page. Click here to look at the different parts of the page that you will use to enrol.

Please note: If you can't see your program details for the upcoming year, please contact The Nucleus: Student Hub for help.

b) Now select a term, start with Summer Term 2020. Click Recommended Courses to automatically show your required courses.

c) Tick the check box for your course and click Select Course.

If your Enrolment Basket looks like this, then you can move on to Step 2.

Please note: This is not the end of enrolment. If you do not complete Step 2, you will not complete your enrolment.

2. Confirm your Selected Courses

a) Continuing from Step 1, click Register for Classes.

b) Select your course and click Submit Enrolment Request.

c) Click Submit Enrolment Request again, then you will be done! You may see an error regarding Repeat Enrolment, don't worry Thesis courses are not subject to this policy.

Your Enrolment Basket should now look like this:

if you run into any errors, please check the FAQs below for extra information before contacting the Candidature Management Officers at the GRS or The Nucleus: Student Hub.

Please Note: You will need to enrol in all available research thesis courses for your program by 16 December 2019. If you do not enrol by the deadline your candidature is at risk of lapsing.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I drop or swap a course?

HDR candidates are not able to drop or swap courses using the online enrolment system.

If you want to drop your enrolment you will need to apply for official Program Leave.

If you believe you have enrolled in the wrong course, please contact your Candidature Management Officer at the GRS for help.

Do I have to enrol in Summer Term?

Yes, the Summer Term is one of the four terms that make up the HDR calendar.

All HDR candidates are required to maintain constant enrolment unless on approved Program Leave.

Do I have to enrol in all eligible Terms?

Yes, you should enrol in all of the available terms that appear for you on myUNSW.

  • If you do not want to enrol in one or more terms, you will need to apply for Program Leave through the Graduate Research Information System (GRIS).
  • If you are in your final year of your research degree and submit your thesis, the GRS will remove any future enrolment for you.

Any variation to candidature must be submitted through GRIS.

I want to take program leave, do I need to enrol?

If you want to take program leave in the upcoming term you will need to apply for program leave through the Graduate Research Information System (GRIS)

What is the latest date to enrol?

HDR candidates are required to clarify their enrolment status by the Term Start Date.

The Summer 2020 Term Start date is 16 December 2019.

If you do not clarify your status your candidature may be considered lapsed, and you will have until the Census Date of the following term to clarify your enrolment details.

The Summer Term Census Date is 19 January 2020.

Why can't I enrol?

You may have an enrolment block. You can check your myUNSW home page for notifications. 

This could be an outstanding library fine, outstanding tuition fees or unpaid Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF).

How do I enrol if I am returning from leave?

You will need to contact your School HDR Contact who will provide a re-enrolment form and advise you on any specific requirements.

If you need any further assistance, contact your Faculty Candidature Management Officer

Why can't I see all four terms when I try to enrol?

You will only see the terms you are eligible to enrol in up to your maximum term requirements. 

For any further enrolment beyond this limit, candidates are required to apply for an Overtime Enrolment.

See the Variation to Candidature page for further information.

How do I enrol in coursework?

Coursework enrolment will be processed by the Graduate Research School. You should contact your Faculty or School in regard to requesting coursework or coursework requirements.

I have approved overtime enrolment, do I enrol online?

No, all overtime enrolment is managed by the Graduate Research School. You will be enrolled by the GRS in the terms that you have been approved for overtime enrolment in.

My scholarship has ended, and I am planning on submitting my theses before the census date, do I need to enrol?

Yes, you should enrol even if you plan to submit your thesis by the census date. If you do submit your thesis by the census date of the term, your enrolment for that term and any future terms will be dropped and you will not be liable for fees.