How to Appeal Your Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion

This page lists the steps and inclusions for lodging an appeal against a standing level of suspension or exclusion. If you believe your academic standing level has been incorrectly calculated, please email

You must lodge your appeal no later than the deadline advised on your letter of notification of SUSPENSION or EXCLUSION.

  1. Complete and submit this Application to Appeal Against Suspension or Exclusion Form (PDF 95KB, 2 pages). Full instructions and assistance are on the form.
  2. Attach any relevant supporting documentation (all documentation must be original and be in English - you must not submit photocopies).

    Please be aware that if you provided falsified documents in support of your application, then this will result in one of a range of penalties, from failure in the course to suspension or exclusion.  In some cases, the matter could also be reported to ICAC. As a student you must be aware of your obligations and responsibilities under the Student Code.

  3. Attach a typed supporting statement, using this letter structure (PDF, 12 KB).
  4. Mail your appeal to STAR - ReEnrolment Appeals, Student Administration, UNSW 2052 or lodge it in person at Student Central (Kensington campus).


What happens next

The Re-Enrolment Appeal committee will consider your appeal in early February.

If you elect to appear before the committee, you must be available at short notice by email or telephone.  Please ensure that your contact details are clear in your appeal and that you also update your contact details online via myUNSW.

Notification of the outcome of your appeal will be sent to your current mailing address as registered on myUNSW.

If you are currently enrolled in Summer Term but are suspended or excluded, you should continue studying.

Supporting documentation

Your supporting documentation must be from a specialist doctor, counsellor, Justice of the Peace, Minister of Religion, or independent third party and clearly outline:

  • Date your circumstance(s) began or changed
  • How your circumstance(s) were beyond your control
  • How your circumstance(s) affected your ability to study
  • Action(s) you have taken to overcome the circumstance(s).

Supporting statement

Your supporting statement must address the reason(s) why your academic performance has not been satisfactory. These reasons may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Academic issues,
  • Medical problem(s),
  • Employment related problem(s),
  • Course related problem(s),
  • Family/personal problem(s).

You must also advise what steps you have taken to overcome your problem(s).


Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions about suspension and exclusion.

My results are withheld (WC/WD) and my academic standing is suspension/exclusion. Should I appeal?


Unresolved results can lead to an academic standing of suspension or exclusion. If the result is resolved and becomes a passing grade your academic standing is recalculated and may become something other than suspension or exclusion.

However, resolution of results can take some time, so if you are in this situation assume that your academic standing is suspension or exclusion and lodge an appeal.

Is there any advantage in appearing before the Re-Enrolment Appeal Committee?

You have the right to appear before the Re-Enrolment Appeal Committee of the Academic Board, but the Committee will only consider information provided in your written appeal - it cannot consider 'new' information introduced at interview, so make your written appeal as comprehensive as possible. If you wish to appear before the Committee you must clearly indicate this in your appeal.

The Committee's decision is final. There is no further right of appeal within UNSW.

If I am suspended or excluded can I study a different program?


Academic Standing is determined at the career level (i.e. Undergraduate/Postgraduate). As a result, if you are Suspended or Excluded from one program you cannot apply to study another program during the period of Suspension or Exclusion.

If I am currently enrolled in Summer Term but am suspended or excluded, should I continue studying?

Yes, but please be aware that successful completion of the Summer course(s) will not be considered by the Re-Enrolment Appeal Committee and will have no bearing on the outcome of your appeal.

I am an international student visa holder - how does my academic standing affect my student visa?

Standard 10.6 of the National Code requires that all international student visa holders who are not achieving satisfactory progress in their program of study be given 20 working days in which to access UNSW's complaints and appeals process.

Following the appeals process, an international student visa holder whose appeal has been unsuccessful will be reported to the Australian Government Office in accordance with Standard 10.6 of the National Code, for failure to achieve satisfactory progress in their program of study.

For further advice on how your academic standing may affect your international student visa, please email the ESOS Officer -

How to improve your academic performance

These support services can help you improve your academic standing.