Register for Disability Support

Register for Disability Support

To receive educational adjustments for disability support, you must first register with Disability Services. This page outlines how to register to educational adjustments.

Once you have submitted your documents, you will be contacted by Disability Services to arrange an appointment to be assessed by a Disability Adviser. Please note that you will be unable to have an appointment with an Disability Adviser until you have registered and sent your documents in.

When to register

You must be enrolled at UNSW before you can register for educational adjustments.

You can register at any time during semester if you require support. We strongly recommend all students register before the teaching session starts. If you are new to UNSW or having difficulties because of your disability or circumstances, register as soon as possible. 

Many of the services we provide require a significant amount of time and coordination of people and facilities across the university. Setting up exam provisions, employing notetakers, organising sign interpreters and re-formatting textbooks are just a few examples of services that may take weeks to set up.

By registering early your Disability Adviser can:

  • Start preparation on your requirements early
  • Identify any obstacles you may face in completing your studies
  • Work with you to help you overcome any obstacles.

Leaving things to the last minute will only add to your stress. The sooner you come in, the sooner you will have the support you need. All appointments are free and confidential.

Documentation required

Your Disability Adviser is unable to put services in place unless they have seen current and original documented evidence confirming your disability, carer responsibilities or personal situation. A copy of the original documents will be kept on file.

What is acceptable documentation?

The documentation must state:

  • the nature and duration of your condition
  • any treatment you are receiving, and
  • the impact the disability or circumstances are having on your studies and exams.

and must be:

  • less than two years old
  • in English
  • written on letterhead, signed and dated by an appropriate medical practitioner, specialist, professional.

Faxed, photocopied or scanned documents will only be accepted when registering on-line or via email. Original documentation must be sighted prior to adjustments being implemented.

Documentation can be from medical specialists, educational psychologists or other qualified health practitioners. If unsure, please contact us to check.

If you do not have sufficient documentation, please provide your health professional with a verification statement form to complete and return it to Disability Services.

Documentation submitted to the Board of Studies (if you are a school leaver) or documents used by other educational institutions may be sufficient if less than two years old.

If your documentation is not sufficient, we will contact you to advise you to submit additional evidence of your disability.

Important note:
Documents sent to the University Admissions Centre (UAC) with your university application are not forwarded to UNSW. Your Disability Adviser does not have access to any of the documents you have previously supplied to UAC, or the Board of Studies or any supporting documents you submitted when you accepted your UNSW offer.

You will need to provide us with a complete set of professional documents showing evidence of your disability or personal circumstances when you register. The original documents must be available on request.

Carers and students studying on day release

Students caring for family members with a disability or studying under difficult circumstances should provide supporting documentation such as a letter from the government department supporting them, eg Department of Community Services, Corrective Services etc. If you do not have any documentation outlining your circumstances, please contact us and a Disability Adviser will be in touch.

Disability Verification Statement form

A verification statement may assist you in obtaining the required evidence about your disability or medical condition from your health professional if you do not have current, sufficient documentation. Your health professional can send documentation and/or the verification statement straight back to Disability Services by fax or email in order for you to have your provisions put in place as soon as possible.

As soon as your documents have been assessed, you will be contacted regarding an appointment with an Disability Adviser. If you have any questions, please contact us. You will be unable to have an appointment with a Disability Adviser until we have received sufficient documentation as evidence of your disability.

Why do I need to bring medical documents?

UNSW is required to have documented evidence of your disability or circumstances kept on file. We need to have a statement from a professional external practitioner that verifies your condition and the impact on your studies. We will then be able to put in place the best services that will assist you. Even if your condition is obvious, permanent or you have had it since birth, you still need to bring documentation to support your application for educational adjustments.

Review of documentation

While you do not need to re-register with us, your Disability Adviser will regularly review your services. You may be asked to come in for an appointment to confirm whether specific services are still required. Your documentation must remain up-to-date. Your Disability Adviser may ask you to bring in updated documentation in order to receive ongoing support or to make any changes to your adjustments.

Registration form

You can Register via this online form (zID log in required)

If you don't have a current zID then please contact us.

When we have received your documentation it will be checked by a Disability Adviser. We will contact you and confirm that your documentation is sufficient. If it isn't we will let you know and you may need to provide more detailed information. If your documentation is satisfactory, we will arrange a time for you to speak to one of our Disability Advisers regarding your educational adjustments.

Our office will have to sight the original documents before any services can be put in place.