How to Appeal Termination of Enrolment in Your Program

This page lists the steps and inclusions for lodging an appeal against termination of enrolment in your program due to repeated fails of a course (or course rule) or due to exceeding the maximum time to complete your program.

You must lodge your appeal no later than the deadline advised in your letter of notification of TERMINATION OF PROGRAM.

  1. If you have unsuccessfully completed the same course or course rule four times, and wish to appeal the University’s decision to terminate you from your program of study, you should complete and submit the Application to Appeal Against Termination of Program – Maximum Repeat Fails (PDF, 97 KB).

    If you have exceeded the maximum time to complete, and wish to appeal the University’s decision to terminate you from your program of study, you should complete and submit the Application to Appeal Against Termination of Program – Exceeding Maximum Time to Complete (PDF, 98 KB).

    Full instructions and assistance are on the forms.

  2. Attach any relevant supporting documentation (all documentation must be original and in English - you must not submit photocopies).

    Please be aware that if you provide falsified documents in support of your application, then this will result in one of a range of penalties. In some cases, the matter could also be reported to ICAC. As a student, you must be aware of your obligations and responsibilities under the Student Code.

  3. Attach a typed supporting statement, using the Maximum Repeat Fail letter structure (PDF, 10 KB) or Maximum Time To Complete letter structure (PDF, 9 KB).

  4. Mail your appeal to STAR – Re-Enrolment Appeals, Student Administration, UNSW 2052 or lodge it in person at Student Central (Kensington campus).

What Happens Next

The Re-Enrolment Appeal committee will consider your appeal prior to the start of the next semester.

If you elect to appear before the committee, you must be available at short notice by email or telephone. Please ensure that your contact details are clear in your appeal and that you also update your contact details online via myUNSW.

Notification of the outcome of your appeal will be sent to your current mailing address as registered on myUNSW.

If you are currently enrolled in Summer Term, you should continue studying.

Supporting Documentation

Your supporting documentation must be from a specialist doctor, counsellor, Justice of the Peace, Minister of Religion, or independent third party and clearly outline:

  • Date your circumstance(s) began or changed
  • How your circumstance(s) were beyond your control
  • How your circumstance(s) affected your ability to study
  • Action(s) you have taken to overcome the circumstance(s)

Supporting Statement

Your supporting statement must address the reason(s) why your academic progression has not been satisfactory. These reasons may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Academic issues
  • Medical problem(s)
  • Employment related problem(s)
  • Course related problem(s)
  • Family/personal problem(s)

You must also advise what steps you have taken to overcome your problem(s). For detailed information, please see the relevant Application form.


Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions about academic progression.

Is there any advantage in appearing before the Re-Enrolment Appeal Committee?

You have the right to appear before the Re-Enrolment Appeal Committee of the Academic Board, but the Committee will only consider information provided in your written appeal - it cannot consider 'new' information introduced at interview, so make your written appeal as comprehensive as possible. If you wish to appear before the Committee you must clearly indicate this in your appeal.

The Committee's decision is final. There is no further right of appeal within UNSW.

My program has been terminated – can I study a different program?

Yes, you can apply to study a new program under the usual admission procedures. Please note that you cannot apply for admission to the same award in which your enrolment was terminated. You can however apply for admission to another award and receive credit or an exemption for prior learning in accordance with the Recognition of Prior Learning (Coursework Programs) Procedure.

If I am currently enrolled in Summer Term, should I continue studying?

Yes, but please be aware that successful completion of the Summer course(s) will not be considered by the Re-Enrolment Appeal Committee and will have no bearing on the outcome of your appeal.

I am an international student visa holder – how does the termination of my program affect my student visa?

Standard 10.6 of the National Code requires that all international student visa holders who are not achieving satisfactory progress in their program of study be given 20 working days from the date of notification in which to access UNSW's complaints and appeals process.

Following the appeals process, an international student visa holder whose appeal has been unsuccessful will be reported to the Australian Government Office in accordance with Standard 10.6 of the National Code, for failure to achieve satisfactory progress in their program of study.

For further advice on how the termination of enrolment in your program may affect your international student visa, please email the ESOS Officer (