Difference Between Special Consideration and Educational Adjustments

It is important to understand the difference between applying for Special Consideration while at university and having educational adjustments in place. They are not the same thing.

During your university education you may experience a major event in your life that prevents you from completing your course assessment or sitting your exams. These significant events, such as illness, the death of a family member or a serious accident are called ‘misadventures’.

If you experience a misadventure or circumstances beyond your control that has nothing to do with your disability but affects your studies or exams, you may be eligible to apply for Special Consideration.

Any student may apply to have their circumstances taken into account under UNSW’s Special Consideration policy. Each case is individually reviewed and assessed and if your application is successful, you may be given some flexibility to meet your course requirements - for example, you may be allowed to sit your exams at a later date.

See how to apply for Special Consideration

You must submit a form for Special Consideration and provide documentation that outlines your situation and supports your application. There is a time limit on when applications will be accepted after the illness or misadventure occurs (usually within three days), so it is important to submit your application as soon as possible.

If you would like additional support in submitting your Special Consideration Application, study planning, goal setting or time management assistance contact an Educational Support Advisor.