Supporters of UNSW Students

Information for suppoters of UNSW students

Here you can find information for parents and families of UNSW students. We recognise that parents and supporters, particularly parents of undergraduates, provide vital financial and emotional support to students and we would like to extend to you a warm welcome as you join, or continue, your experience with us. We know the important role that parents, partners, close friends and families play.

Along with the helpful guides below, we have produced a slide show packed full of practical information about how you can help your son or daughter be the best they can be at UNSW. You can find the slides on our UNSW Essentials moodle site. They are available with English or Chinese language options.    

To receive timely and helpful information on how to best support your student, please sign up to our Supporters of UNSW Students eNewsletter.

Helpful guides

Find how you can help your child or partner get the most out of UNSW with these guides for:

Supporters of domestic students

Getting started at university is a time of rapid transition and growth and this experience is often shared by you as their supporters. There's a lot to organise and information to take in so we've developed this guide to assist in understanding what it means to be a successful student at UNSW and how you can help your son, daughter, family member or partner to get the most out of their time at UNSW:

Supporters of international students

UNSW extends a warm welcome to the family members of international students and we hope the UNSW Australia experience will be enriching for every member of your family. We invite the parents and spouses or partners to attend our social events, career sessions, exchange experiences and practice conversational English. For our guides for parents and families of students, bringing family to Australia and more information, please see - Support for Families.

Student privacy

UNSW can't disclose information without the student's consent.

About student privacy at UNSW

At UNSW, students are responsible for maintaining their enrolment and personal details on their University record. The University sees this as an important step in preparing students for responsible adulthood. We understand that this transformation does not happen overnight and that the process can be problematic and confusing for families and students alike. Many students have grown up with their parents as active partners in their academic lives and parents are often surprised to learn that the University does not automatically include parents when notifying students of their assessment results or tuition fees.

We urge you to discuss these issues with your son or daughter and to maintain an open dialogue throughout their UNSW career.

The University is committed to safeguarding the privacy of student information, and has implemented measures to comply with its obligations under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) ("the Act”). All staff are bound by the Act and by the UNSW Privacy Management Plan. However the University will, of course, share information with parents when authorised to do so by the student via the Third Party Authorisation form which the student must submit in person at Student Central. Family support is essential to your student's success, and we hope that early discussion will encourage ongoing communication and support.

The Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) (PIPPA) applies to State public sector agencies, which, by definition, includes the majority of academic and administrative units at UNSW. The Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 (Commonwealth) applies to organisations in the private sector and includes some units at UNSW such as NewSouth Global and Arc @ UNSW.

Generally, personal information is not disclosed to a third party without the individual’s consent. In the case of an emergency, or in exceptional circumstances, where a student’s safety may potentially be jeopardised, a senior officer may authorise the release of personal information. In all circumstances the University is conscious of its obligations with respect to privacy.

Read more about the UNSW Privacy Code of Practice.

Third party authorisation letter

You need this to access information on your child's behalf.

Students can use this form to authorise the release of information relating to their student record (eg. application, fees, or enrolment) to a third party (e.g. parent/guardian, relative or friend); and or authorise a third party to apply for and collect documentation relating to their student record on their behalf.

See Third Party Authorisation Letter for more information.

Answers for frequently asked questions

How can I access my child's results

UNSW does not mail results to students or to their parents, but makes them available for students to view online through myUNSW (a password-protected student information system). Students wishing to share their grades with their parents can print results from myUNSW.

How can I access my child's address / phone number

UNSW treats information it receives from students, such as address, email and phone number, as confidential and will not reveal such information to third parties without the permission of the student. In the case of an emergency, or in exceptional circumstances where a student's safety may potentially be jeopardised, a senior officer may authorise the release of personal information. This happens rarely.

My child is travelling abroad and needs their transcripts

A student's academic record is considered confidential under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) (PIPPA). Only students may request an Academic Transcript. You may wish to have your son/daughter complete and submit a Third Party Authorisation form prior to them departing.

My employer / insurance company require proof that my child is attending UNSW

Students who are currently enrolled can apply for a Standard Letter; this is an official document verifying dates of attendance, degree, and student status (full-time or part-time). Only the student can request a standard letter, unless a Third Party Authorisation form has been completed.

I need a fees statement so I can pay my child's fees

UNSW does not send fees statements to students. All fees statements are made available to students through their myUNSW account. Please ask your son/daughter to sign on to myUNSW and print out a fees statement for you. See How do I pay fees for more information.

Suggestions and feedback

Complete this form to send your suggestions or feedback to Student Life and Learning about our guides for supporters of UNSW students.