The 'In-Text' System
How do I do it?
The Harvard System requires two elements: in-text citations throughout your assignment, and a list of references at the end.
1. In-text citations
Include three pieces of information about a source within the text of your work:
- the name of the author or authors
- the year of publication
- the page number (when the information/idea can be located on a particular page, or when directly quoted)
2. List of references
At the end of your text, you must include a List of References, a list of all the sources of information you have used to research your assignment.
- Each list item requires specific information (details and exampes can be found on the next pages)
- List each item in alphabetical order (by author surname).
- Titles should be in italics.
- Each item should have a hanging indent.