How to get a Student ID Card
Here you can find information for new commencing students about getting your Student ID Card.
Before getting your Student ID Card
Before getting your Student ID Card please ensure you have:
2. Checked your full legal name is registered on your myUNSW record
Your name as it appears on your identity documentation will need to exactly match your Formal name on your myUNSW record.
myUNSW> My Student Profile> Personal Details> Name
Your Formal name will be listed under the Current Name Data section.
If there is a discrepancy (i.e. your middle name/s are missing or your name order is incorrect) you will be required to complete and submit a Correction of Personal Details PDF form to have your name updated on your record.
3. Additional requirements for Domestic Students
If you are a new Domestic student and you are eligible to access Commonwealth Support, you will be required to provide proof of your citizenship or residency status prior to being issued with your ID card.
Accepted evidence includes a copy of your:
- Australian birth certificate, passport or certificate of citizenship (Australian Citizens)
- Visa letter or label (Australian Permanent Residents)
- New Zealand passport (New Zealand Citizens)
Getting your card
Here you can find information on how to get your Student ID Card for:
All UNSW students
Information for all students (except Distance/ADFA students).
You will be able to obtain your Student ID Card at the commencement of your studies following accepting your offer and enrolling into classes.
You can choose to
- Upload your own photo via the Student ID Self-Service portal. You will receive email confirmation when your ID card is ready for collection. (During the Getting Started period only).
- Present in person to have your photo taken.
Outside the Getting Started period ID Cards will be available from Student Central.
When you present to collect your ID card you will be required to provide the following proof of identity:
- 7 digit Student ID number (zID) and
- Valid Photo ID (accepted ID includes: passport, drivers licence, NSW photo card).
- If you are a new Domestic student eligible to access Commonwealth Support you will also be required to provide proof of your citizenship or residency status if your Photo ID documentation does not verify your status.
To request your ID card complete and email this Distance Student ID Card Application Form (PDF, 350k, 2 pages) to email@example.com
You will need to attach:
- passport sized photo*;
- certified copy of your photo ID (accepted ID includes: passport, drivers licence, NSW photo card).
- if you are a new Domestic student eligible to access Commonwealth Support you are also required to provide proof of your citzenship of residency status if your photo ID documentation does not verify your status.
* What is considered an acceptable photo?
Your photo must meet the following criteria to be used on your Student ID Card.
- Good quality, colour photo, less than six months old
- Clear, focused image with no marks or ‘red eye’
- No shadows or reflections with appropriate brightness and contrast to show skin tone naturally
- Plain white or light grey background that contrasts with your face
- No hat, no sunglasses
- Leave reasonable space around the face area
- Hair off the face so that the edges of the face and eyes are clearly visible
- Face looking directly at the camera and not tilted in any direction
For further information please see the Passport photo guidelines page.
Information for ADFA / UNSW Canberra students.
Information on obtaining your ADFA card is available via log in to the ADFA Student Gateway